Secure Online Counselling by Phone or Video, From The Comfort Of Your Own Home
What Is Secure Online Counselling?
Online counselling, or online therapy, is communicating with a qualified, professional counsellor/therapist through your computer, smart phone, or tablet, with an aim for behavioural or mental health improvement. In other words, online counselling means having a counselling session with your therapist by telephone, online video call, or any other form of technology, without coming to an office.
Convenience is a major component of online counselling. Many people appreciate the benefit of being able to connect with a therapist from the comfort of their own home – this can help save you time.
How Effective Is Online Counselling?
Online counselling is rapidly growing, and it’s for a good reason. It’s convenient, easily accessible, and, for some people, more comfortable in terms of opening and feeling less stigmatized. But most importantly, online counselling proved to be effective as much as face-to-face therapy!
For example, clinical researchers from the University of Zurich found that, not only online counselling is effective, but it can even exceed the effectiveness and client satisfaction compared to classic face-to-face therapy. For more details about this research, click here.
However, one size does not fit all. Let’s see below if online counselling is the right choice for you.
Who is Online Counselling For?
Secure Phone or Video Counselling might be a great option if you:
- live in an area where the choice of mental health professionals is limited
- are familiar with using online technology and feel this form of communication as the most comfortable for you*
- have challenges visiting our office (physical disability, living in rural or an isolated area, extensive travel time, inconvenient working schedule etc.)
*Please note that Real Life Counselling is not providing online counselling services to anonymous clients.
Online Counselling is Not For Everyone
While distance counselling can be really convenient and effective, it is not for everyone. Online counselling may not be the best choice if you don’t have suitable conditions for it such as:
- Your internet access is not private or secure
- Your internet connection is unstable or weak
- You don’t have access to a safe, private space free from interruptions for online sessions
- You are not familiar or don’t feel comfortable using technology
Some problems cannot be resolved online and should be addressed in a face-to-face setting, such as:
- Loss of contact with reality (psychotic symptoms)
- Severe cognitive symptoms that affect person’s communication or reasoning ability
- Trauma and post-traumatic stress symptoms
- Panic disorder or severe anxious or depressive symptoms
- Suicidal ideas and intentions
Real Life Counselling does not offer crisis counselling or emergency services. If you are experiencing any symptoms of the above, we advise you to seek immediate in-person assistance. If you feel you are in a crisis and your issue is an emergency, go to the nearest emergency room or call 911.
Additionally, if you have suicidal feelings, contact BeFriender: http://www.befrienders.org They are a team of more than 25,000 professionals worldwide trained to provide emotional support for people in crisis.
What About Confidentiality?
Our practice is compliant with the Privacy Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA) and the Personal Information Protection And Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA). In short, it means that your personal information is strongly confidential with us (except in some legal situations) and that you have the right to access it.
We are taking all reasonable measures and safeguards to protect your privacy and make electronic communication secure. However, due to the technical nature of this new form of therapy, complications regarding complete confidentiality may arise or servers may go down which would affect access and response time.
Live in Ontario? Book Online Here:
Live in British Columbia? Book Online Here: