Developmental psychologists have long been interested in how parents impact child development.
The Impact of Parenting Styles
Every parent does things differently when it comes to raising their child. Not one parent is the same, sure you might hold similar ideals but when it comes to raising your child, you know what’s best for them. Some people might decide that getting a nanny or an au pair is something that can help them. Other’s prefer to do it by themselves. However, there has been an increase in demand for au pairs to help couples when it comes to their children. So if this is something that you are interested in doing, then it might be a good idea to check out something like Cultural Care Au Pair to give you an idea of how you can apply for this sort of role. Hiring someone to help you might be a good solution, however, if you think that you can manage by yourself then that’s fine. As previously stated, everyone has a different parenting style.
What effect do these parenting styles have on child development outcomes? In addition to Baumrind’s initial study of 100 preschool children, researchers have conducted numerous other studies that have led to a number of conclusions about the impact of parenting styles on children.
- Authoritarian parenting styles generally lead to children who are obedient and proficient, but they rank lower in happiness, social competence and self-esteem.
- Authoritative parenting styles tend to result in children who are happy, capable and successful (Maccoby, 1992).
- Permissive parenting often results in children who rank low in happiness, self-regulation and high anxiety. These children are more likely to experience problems with authority and tend to perform poorly in school.
- Uninvolved parenting styles rank lowest across all life domains. These children tend to lack self-control, have low self-esteem and are less competent than their peers.
Find Your Parenting Style
- Wondering what your parenting style is?
- Should You Rethink Your Parenting Style?
We can help you to get to go in-depth with your specific parenting personality and discover many fascinating facets to your way of raising your children!